Thursday, May 7, 2009

Undomestic Goddess

U know the book, Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella. Though I think the book is a tiny wee bit far fetched, I still kinda enjoyed it.

Becos...I really, really CAN relate to the heroine. I really, really suck BIG time at household chores & cooking!!!!

2 days after my maid ran away, I knew I couldn't put it off any longer...I would need to mop the floor.

Just thinking about it makes my back ache already. So I did what any sane person would do. Go buy a really high tech mop (though we have several already ie the conventional ones, the flat longish one which I'm not very sure whether its a mop or for dusting, the yellow stripe fibre ones).

But hey, why stop at one, why not buy 2 at that, 1 for upstairs & 1 for downstairs.

Still after a day on my own (1st day got Daddy to help out) running about after the boys, sweeping, mopping, washing clothes, etc, I not only got back ache. Leg very pain as well - can hardly walk by night time!

Then there's all that episodes of blanking out. No, not fainting. Just old age forgetfulness. So far I have burned the soup (forgot to turn off gas when re-heating the soup, resulting in charcoal black old cucumber...which I didn't force the boys to eat, in case anyone think I did:), forgot to cook rice (until eating time), forgot to boil water, forgot to turn the water on for the washing machine to work, forgot to take in the clothes, forgot whether to put in garlic or onions or both....(u get the picture).

However, I also conveniently forgot to take out the trash. And forgot to iron the clothes. So that Daddy would do it mah! (Sneaky good, rite ?)

The upside is that the boys now do not seem so helpless & manja (whinny) already. Though previously, I did ask the maid not to do everything for them, she still did cos its actually easier than yelling at them. Though now I still do need to remind them (IN A LOUD VOICE), they'll do it quicker. Not so many delay tactics. And they get it now that the floor don't eat rice - not so messy.

Di-di also doesn't cry anymore when I scold him. Previously, I'm the bad guy & he'll go running to the maid to whine & cry. Now he got nobody to run to, hahaha!

But still, it's very, very, very tough...being down-graded from 'tai-tai' (I like to tell people that...more glamour though I don't always go out 'yam cha'/shopping/spend money) to full fledge HOUSEWIFE!!!!

(I think my brain is still not processing 'me being alone without help' so well!):P

8 comments:

  1. Do you realise.. when we're forgetful, we're very 'forgiving' to ourselves, but if the maid is.. I think they'll kena kao kao from us?

    Hope you get a helper soon.. I can't imagine myself not having a helper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. U'll get the hang of it. Do a time-table; it helps a lot. Hope u'll get a replacement soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there, hope you get a replacement helper soon. I understand how you feel, not easy ya. I remember when my 1st maid run away, i kalam kabut too and i have to take one week unpaid leave to sort out the thing and that time my boys just 18 months old. :( When second maid run away again, i got the experience, i take it more easy, not as kalam kabut as the 1st time. After all, i feel proud, at least i still survive without maid, only thing is, i feel tired and stress. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. eh not housewife, its wong min poh, like me! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wekekeekekekekek...take it easy la...

    not easy to adapt so quickly....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jialat. Like that no more eat&split potluck but possible gotong royong instead?

    ReplyDelete
  7. In the meantime, why don't you get part time helpers, those who come in for 4 hours? They usually work like they should and give you less problem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. zmm: They r paid to remember mah, I'm not:(

    Miche & Annie Q: I'm still hanging...

    Wen: wong min poh with maid was kinda fun, I get to go out whenever I like, kekeke!

    Mott: I think I'm getting there...sometimes, haha!

    Tummythoz: I'm cooking more now la, potluck anytime!

    Coffeesncookies: Ya, help is coming, but din know need to book in advance, so they r not coming today...rite now!!!!

    ReplyDelete