Monday, March 23, 2009

Lazy Translation

A couple of weeks ago, I saw this in Kor-Kor's exercise book.


And I have been cracking my head ever since. Is there no similar word in BM for jogging ? Daddy says no. But I just can't believe it - jogging is such a common word. I understand direct translation for more complicated words like innovation, inspiration, etc. But jogging???

In this case, can we also substitute other common words like...mmm, 'clubbing' ? Emak pergi berclubbing dengan bapa (Mommy went clubbing with Daddy) ?

Or 'pimping' ? Kawan saya berpimping laman saya kepada semua (My friend is pimping my web to all).

Or 'bitching'???

Ok, granted bitching and pimping are not such nice common words, but still...

I can almost hear my lil monsters enlightening the cikgu during 'bina ayat' sessions in the foreseeable future:-

Emak selalu berbitching tentang majikannya kepada kawan-kawan (Mommy is always bitching about her boss to friends).

Cikgu terpelanting! (Teacher fell off chair!)

7 comments:

  1. Hey! Thanks for popping by my blog!
    And I must first welcome you onboard the blogging sphere and hope you have fun blogging!

    Like your sense of humour and I'll be adding your link to my blog too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Hi! Thanks for dropping by & for the words of encouragement. Will try to keep it up, though this is harder than i thot...

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha!! berclubbing!!! could be true too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think one day berclubing, berSMS, berbloging will make their way to the BM dictionary haha...

    ReplyDelete
  5. HELLO! Thx for the visit. Actually i'm still can't get it out of my head on 'berjogging' There must be a better word!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your 'translation'.. Maybe you should get employment in Bahasa Pustaka and XXXX.. (don't know what's the company name already). :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zara's Mama: Something trivial abt me, I always got 'C' for Bahasa Malaysia, he, he!!!

    ReplyDelete