Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Report Card Day

Yesterday was Kor-Kor's school report card day.

It was stated in the notice sheet that he brought back that the parent-teacher session would start at 3.50, after the school recess. I was thinking, no need so 'kan cheong' (anxious) -can go in the evening - to avoid the 'crowd' what.

But one of the mothers I bumped into a few days ago informed that the students could actually go off already after the parents collected the report card. Aisehman! Really? So it's true what Kor-Kor has been trying to tell me ? I thot my son blur-blur!

This meant that I need to make effort to go earlier so that he wouldn't be 'stuck' in class. But, how to be there at that time? Di-Di usually take his nap that time wor. So I told Kor-Kor if his lil bro wakes up early, we'll be there early, otherwise, he'll have to wait. And I told Di-Di he'll have to start his nap earlier - without me nagging - otherwise, I'll ship him to his mah-mah yeh-yeh (my MIL/FIL).

Di-Di was really cooperative wor. We were out of the house by 3.25. But what was supposed to be 5 minutes door-to-door, turned into 15 minutes! No parking @#$%^&*!!!! It looks like parents had been flocking to the school since god knows how early. And by kiasu standard, I'm actually darn late!

By the time we arrived, I was no. 10 in line. Sucks, I noted 2 parents in front were parents to top students of the class. And they were there plus-1 ie with spouse - meaning they got lots & lots & lots to ask/discuss. Sucks!

Surprisingly, the teacher kept it short & simple with everyone - Chinese school efficiency. When came my turn, my son's dear Ms Tan immediately launched - before I can sit down (so efficient rite?) - Kor-Kor has been very talkative & has difficulty concentrating on the lessons since after the school hols!

She was smiling when she said that, so I laughed (cos dunno how to respond le). Anyway, she said he probably needed time adjusting to school regiment after the hols and anyway, he is not very disruptive. Thus, she had not called to inform me on all this. I tried to tell her back in broken Mandarin 'no news is good news!'

Which is true. As long as she doesn't tell me he's a hooligan in class, I'm satisfied already. (Once in kindie, his teacher told me that he purposely play-play sprayed his pee on his friend. Now THAT was embarrassing to face...)

After having that out of the way, I tried to ask one or two things, to help me maneuver the Chinese school system, like:-
1. What constitute the other 50% of Moral marks (as I checked that only 50% was from the subject test paper)? She bla-bla-bla-ed in Mandarin. I didn't really understand those non-day-to-day Chinese bits, but caught words like 'practical', 'class exercise' & 'class behavior'...Can piece together the rest, I should think...
2. Is it true that Moral, Maths in English & Science in English are not counted in the overall marks standing? YES, was the reply wor...But why, why, why, especially on not counting Maths & Science in English ??? I thot these subjects were introduced to improve the command of English of the younger generations??? (Sometimes it is very difficult for a national school raised student - ME - to understand Chinese school curricular. And not that Kor-Kor did particularly well in his Maths & Science in English!)

Anyway, my son's dear Ms Tan did not have any major complaint. She said that comparatively, he is quite well behaved & would listen to instructions. I was smiling broadly.

The only thing I was not smiling about was his results. Not that his results stink - in fact he did pretty good by his parents' standard, with a 90.5% average. It's just that I didn't really realise that Chinese school students were so competitive. And so GOOD academically! Cos with a 90.5% average, Kor-Kor was only 24th, out of 41 students in his class! And in overall Primary 1, he was 370, out of 614!

Stress!!!!

Even more stress - in Primary 2, their test results will determine the best 150-odd to 'ching leng pang'* (intelligent class). One mother told me that to cement a place in the top 150, the students would need an average of (at the very least) 97%!!!! That's close to perfect!!! Now I can understand why some ex-colleagues take leave from work to coach their kids pre-exam!

*not practised in all chinese schools, only certain schools, so no fret!

Not that I want to feel the pressure. I mean, I know academic results is not the be-all and end-all. But still...

You see, like some parents who send their children to international schools, it's not only for the academic experience, but the crowd their children get to mix with.

So am I wrong to want Kor-Kor to mix & be influenzed by the better students?

But I have to be realistic too, I guess. 370 is a long, long way from 150. And I also don't want to scare & pressure my kids too much till they don't feel the joy in learning. And take away all the fun of being a kid!

Anyway, (sour grape a bit here) some parents have a head start. They know about the 'Chinese school system' way ahead, whereas this mommy just got to know recently. They have started coaching their kids since they were 4!

Just so you guys know:P

4 comments:

  1. ok, now i feel very stress already coz my son going to primary 1, chinese school... sigh

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhhhhh PHEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

    I'm so glad I'm out of that system. But then again, it's still competitive here..just not at that level la.

    ReplyDelete
  3. goodness and i am thinking to send jayden to chinese sch leh...

    ReplyDelete
  4. *wipe off cold sweat from my forehead*

    ReplyDelete